Words By Water: Kinsale Literary Festival
is delighted to welcome entries to the Words By Water Poetry Awards. Poets are invited to submit poems up to a maximum of 30 lines. Maximum of two entries per entrant.
There are two competitions, one in English and one in Irish.
1st Prize is €150 plus publication in The Echo
How to Enter:
Click on Enter Competition above and email your entry to : firstname.lastname@example.org
Terms and Conditions:
– The competition is open to people of 16 years and older.
– Competition is open internationally.
– Entries must be in English or Irish.
– Maximum of two entries per entrant.
– We invite writers and poets to reflect on the current challenges our society faces and address them in story (poem in the poetry comp terms). The theme remains broad, we leave it up to you to decide if you want to address the Covid-19 outbreak specifically or look at a particular facet such as isolation or the changes the restrictions have wrought in our social structures
– 1st Prize is €150 plus publication in The Echo.
– Entries can be up to and including 30 lines in length.
– Entries must be the original work of the author and must not have been previously published either in writing or electronically. Entries which have received awards in other competitions are also ineligible.
– The author’s name and details should be included when the poem is submitted. The poems will be passed on to the judge without these details, all poems will be judged as anonymous.
– Entries will be accepted until August 31 2020. Entries received after this date will not be considered.
– The judge’s decision is final and Kinsale Literary Festival will not enter into correspondence concerning the judging or merits awarded. The onus is on the author to ensure that their entry complies with the rules of the competition
– Entries should be submitted electronically only, by email to email@example.com. Hard copies will not be admissible.
– The shortlist will be sent to all entrants and announced publicly before the winners are announced on the festival weekend.
– While copyright of the poem will remain with the author, Kinsale Literary Festival reserves the right to arrange the first publication and broadcast of the selected works. The right to use the poems to further publicise this award is also retained by Kinsale Literary Festival. The winning poet will agree to have their photograph taken and used for publicity purposes by Kinsale Literary Festival
– The entry fee is €2 per poem and must be paid via our online payment system, using the entrant’s name as the reference.