Words By Water: Kinsale Literary Festival
is delighted to welcome entries to the Words By Water Short Story Award (Ages 8-11). Writers are invited to submit a short story of up to 1000 words. Maximum of one entry per entrant
Prize for competition:
1st Prize is €50 in book vouchers plus publication in The Echo.
How to Enter:
Email your entry to : email@example.com
Entry is free
Terms and Conditions:
– The competition is open to young people who will be aged 8-11 on August 31 2020 and live in Cork.
– We invite writers and poets to reflect on the current challenges our society faces and address them in story(poem in the poetry comp terms). The theme remains broad, we leave it up to you to decide if you want to address the Covid-19 outbreak specifically or look at a particular facet such as isolation or the changes the restrictions have wrought in our social structures
– 1st Prize is €50 in book vouchers plus publication in The Echo.
– Maximum of one entry per entrant.
– Entries must be in English.
– Entries must be no more than 1,000 words in length. Longer entries will not be permitted and will be automatically rejected
– Entries must be the original work of the author and must not have been previously published either in writing or electronically. Entries which have received awards in other competitions are also ineligible.
– Entries should be submitted electronically only, by email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Hard copies are not admissible.
– The entrant’s name, address and age (as at August 31 2020) should be included on the accompanying e-mail. By submitting from this email address you agree to receiving emails in connection with the competition but your email won’t be used for any other purposes. All entries will also need a name, contact number and email address for a parent/guardian of the entrant. The parent or guardian will be contacted in the event the entry is being considered for the shortlist. Entry is free.
– Please ensure that the title is clearly marked at the top of the entry and each page thereafter. The author’s name must NOT appear on the entry submitted, only on the email accompanying the piece.
– Entries will be accepted until August 31, 2020. Entries received after this date will not be considered.
– The judge’s decision is final and Kinsale Literary Festival will not enter into correspondence concerning the judging or merits awarded. The onus is on the author to ensure that their entry complies with the rules of the competition
– The shortlist will be sent to all entrants and announced publicly before the winners are announced on the festival weekend.
– While copyright of the short story will remain with the author, Kinsale Literary Festival reserves the right to arrange the first publication and broadcast of the selected works. The right to use the stories to further publicise this award is also retained by Kinsale Literary Festival. The winning author will agree to have their photograph taken and used for publicity purposes by Kinsale Literary Festival.